Author Topic: HEATER PROBLEMS  (Read 2980 times)

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
HEATER PROBLEMS
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
Ok here goes. Found first winter issue with the jeep. My heater blows WARM air not hot. I let it run for about 15 mins. Then drove it home. I noticed it never got hot so I drove it around longer. Still no change in temp. So I went back to the house and let it sit and run. This has been a total of 50 mins now. The temp gauge is reading 210 and has been for a while. The air temp at the floor and defrost vents is still only warm. So while it was running I popped the hood and felt of the hoses. The heater core hoses were warm not hot which is good. Checked the upper radiator hose. Warm not hot which I thought was odd. HEY I just noticed my other hand was on the radiator cap. NOT HOT at all. So yep with the engine running and has been running for a full hour now. I'm like f$@k it. I opened the radiator cap. Nothing no steam blow off no water spraying so I stuck my finger in the water. Guess what ONLY warm. Not HOW IN THE HELL can that be when my thermostat temp is reading 210???
Yesterday I replaced the cap. I drove it around after work and it was the same scenario. the cap didnt help. On my days off im going to flush the entire system and replace the thermostat. You guys have any other ideas as to what could be the problem??  I'm pulling a major head scratcher here guys. WHAT IS GOING ON... is the problem.

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +91/-17
  • They call me "T"
Re: HEATER PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
I would start would start with replacing the thermostat. My heater doesn't work worth a hoot either, but I think mine is a blend door issue. It will get warm after a hour or so. Mine will only heat up to 190 whether I'm crawling or flying down the highway.
It's never good when your ball pops out!! ;D                                                                        '97 Wrangler, 5speed, D30, Aussie Locker, 4.88's, 8.8, Aussie Locker, 35X12.50X15's, Advance Adaptors SYE, Tom Woods D.S., Adj. uppers and lowers. Smittybuilt 8,000# winch, Rokmen fuel tank skid,owner made sliders, bumpers and lots of smaller do-dads!

Offline Tex TJ

• Spotter
  • Reputation +26/-12
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »
Likely a thermostat problem I would go with at least a 195. Have you ran any radiator stop leak through it it could be a blockage at or around the heater core . On mine with a soft top it's hard to keep all the heat in when it real cold. Good luck
98 jeep Sahara, 4.0, 3sp, 4" procomp lift, dana 30 4.56 Truetrax, Dana 44 4.56 Auburn ECTED, 285/75/16 MTZ

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
NOpe no stop leak. Im thinking its the tstat. Its a 195 so 210 is operation temp. Im figuring that the heater core is clogged up as well. I say this cause when I first got the jeep I changed out the tstat and waterneck. and when I added the antifreeze I didnt burp the system and as a result it overheated and caused the antifreeze to boil. SOOO im figuring that the system as a whole really needs a good flushing. This is where im going to start in the am. Im gonna flush the system and backwash the heater core and try the compressed air thing.

Tony why does yours run so cold???

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +91/-17
  • They call me "T"
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
Have no idea. The guy I got it from had just replaced the radiator. I changed the thermostat and the old one was in 3 pieces. I've had people tell me their heater will burn them out, mine will get warm after about a hour. I just dress warm or drive my truck!
It's never good when your ball pops out!! ;D                                                                        '97 Wrangler, 5speed, D30, Aussie Locker, 4.88's, 8.8, Aussie Locker, 35X12.50X15's, Advance Adaptors SYE, Tom Woods D.S., Adj. uppers and lowers. Smittybuilt 8,000# winch, Rokmen fuel tank skid,owner made sliders, bumpers and lots of smaller do-dads!

Offline Terry Hubbard

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +43/-7
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open......replace with 210.....

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
Flushed the radiator
Flushed AND blow compressed air in the heater core
Replaced the thermostat
WE HAVE HEAT.
I blow all kinds of gunk and crude out of the heater core. Recommend this if your having heater problems.

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +91/-17
  • They call me "T"
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
I got a TON of crud out of mine also, but it still doesn't get very warm. Glad you had positive results!

Offline rjstj

• Mall Crawler
  • Reputation +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 02:05:04 AM »
if you have anymore problems out of the radiator, Anderson radiator in Wichita falls off of scott street does really good work. and they are cheap too!!!

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
I meant to update this the other day. we HAD heat is what it should say  :wall: Looks as though im going to have to replace the water pump. Its the only logical solution as everything else is working right. I have noticed that if the RPMs are higher the more heat I produce. to me this is indicating that the fins on the pump are just worn down. Just REALLY dont want to do it.  :crybaby:

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +91/-17
  • They call me "T"
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
Water pump change is pretty easy. It didn't help mine at all.