Author Topic: Death Wobble on a TJ  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Aggie99

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +31/-17
Death Wobble on a TJ
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:26:51 PM »
Always heard about this, but now am stuck with it.  Installed OME 4" springs, with Rancho 9000 XL shocks.  Replaced both front and rear track bars, and have adjusted the toe-in on the TJ.  Damn thing is still giving me the death wobble.

I need some help with suggestions, but don't want to keep throwing money at it either.

Offline DavidW

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +58/-57
Re: Death Wobble on a TJ
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
Check all of your bushings?
White Trash

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
  • Reputation +326/-131
Re: Death Wobble on a TJ
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »
The bad new with DW is that its usually a mixture of small problems creating a large one. this makes pin pointing a root cause almost impossible.

As David said, check for worn bushings, worn TRE's, worn unit bearings, ball joints, make sure toe in is set to ~1/8" in and if you have adjust adjustable control arms, the castor needs to be around 4.5* rearward (top tilted behind center).

these are just starters, it goes deeper..... Is your tie rod and drag link parallel since the lift was installed? Tires need to be balance and/or balancing beads can help that.

I chased it for over a year and never really got it fixed. I attributed mine to still being short armed.... But who really knows....

Good luck!