Author Topic: Daisy, Oklahma new wheeling land  (Read 11224 times)

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
Re: The next big offroad park in Daisy, OK (Clayton area)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 10:14:16 pm »
Quote from: Okies
15 Feb..

Overall we had a good day and the weather was right. Again Jordan pushed on with the upper trail and I continued working on a lower trail. I think I made it about halfway from connecting with the outer loop trail. Jordan by lunch time had punched through on his trail. At the moment we have one nice trail completed, all that is left of that trail is going back in and cleaning limbs and such up. I'll tackle the task since I like things purdy..

Anyhoo on with some pics. I tried to get my JK in each pic or a part of it to give a sense of depth, not sure if it is working..

Starting from where I left off from yesterday..

Coming up on a creek crossing..

The climb coming out of the narrow creek, keep in mind I am on 37's. It would be nice if I had a stocker running with me. It would help guide me on this trail. This trail will branch off to more aggressive trails (pics coming)

more...

Look to the right, this side of the mountain offers all kinds of funky and wild climbs. For now I am skirting around the base of it to complete this section of the outer loop..

more...

Right here this trail is getting ready to go straight up. Going to be a very interesting night run trail.

Future hill cimb?

more...

This is where I stopped working today. Jordan worked a little but not sure how far he got. Hopefully he didn't go just straight up..  :D

Again, future climb?

more...

Charlie and Jordan started this one. This is the one that I've been calling the high trail, but really it isn't that high, more like halfway from the very top..  :D

I ran a section of it today looking for Jordan, gonna be a good trail.

It's late and I am tired  :D

Once this trail gets ran more and mother nature does her thing it is going to be something else...  :D

The JK barely fit and there are a few other spots that are tight too..

more...

BTW the buggy trail is to the right down in the rock bottom, there is where Joe rolled his rig...

More...

more...

and the last one for now..

Once again stay tuned until next weekend, the trails are gonna start getting all funky..  :laugh:

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:43 am »
21 Feb.

Cold and windy but no rain. We started where we left off last Sunday and...... we connected the trail.. whew!

It's late and I have to get up early to get back out there in the morning so I'll just post the pics...

We connected at the first turn on the trail you helped on. Remember the creek bottom where we turned around? Well we marched on and that trail pops out at an awesome spot. I think we have 1 mile of a pretty cool trail cut... whoohooo.

more..

Here is where we connected in the first turn of the first trail we cut..

more...

more..

more..

more..

more..

more..

More tonight, stay tuned!

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 12:00:56 am »
Taken from ROF (sorry, no pictures, but read it!!):

Quote from: Lance Morin
Didn't really see Mike (Okie) until he was pulling put for the trails on Saturday. They were still out cutting trials when I left for the house Saturday night.

A group of the larger rigs did some more creek and ravine work on Friday and Saturday. I think we have a total of 5 fairly difficult trails cut. One of them, Bunny Slope, needs more traffic and some better marking at the top, but it's now complete. We finished it up on Saturday late afternoon. It now goes up the hill through massive rocks, across, down some rocky areas, back up, across some more, and down a few off camber areas. If you run it backward (as I plan to do the time time I am up that way), then you'll have some good challenges as well.  Let's just say, some people regret letting (or forcing me) to be the trail blazer / trail leader on that section of the trail.

We also went to the property line via the stock trail that Mike and them are building and dropped into that ravine at the fence line. We took it up most of the way until the rocks faded out and the trees took over. At that point, we popped back up to the road. The drop into that trail looks worse than it is (as long as you have some good size tires) and there is one nice little hole in the middle that scared most our group. Of course, I got volunteered to worm my way down into that section. I couldn't make it out via the line I planned, but I did find I nice little exit out the side door.  I know several were taking pictures, so hopefully we have some to share soon.

We worked clear water creek (I thank that's what they call it) all the way until the Y in the road, then we popped out to stay away from the natural spring pool.  We then looped down the mountain past the road crossing to get to the big ledges that Okie had posted. We were goigng to work that section and give the winches a good work out, but it's really a 2-rig break in. There are some massive under cuts and holes that need to be worked out. So we started back along clear water creek on the other side of the pool. Of course there was a massive undercut right off the bat there and we worked around it via a super steep drop back into the creek only to find a boundary fence only a 100' away. So we went back up the mountain to the road.  While we were doing that two other rigs were finishing off the upper half of that ravine across the main road. We had started it on Friday and pulled out to get back and cook dinner and make some minor vehicle repairs.

3 creek / water shed trails and 2 up / down and around the mountain trails are now there for the challenge.

I need to get my GPS out and mark where we've cut all those trails. I know how to get to them all, but a map would be nice for others. Tulip may have them mapped.

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
Re: Daisy, OK, Now officially named Rock Creek.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 12:06:58 am »
I showed up before the sun even came up, got rained on just about day break. Only lasted a short period until I started cutting limbs, hard too believe how much water a single leaf can hold....  :laugh:  :laugh:

Being out there alone I don't feel comfy actually cutting in any new trails. My rig is no where ready for anything too serious so for the last couple of Saturdays I have been cleaning/clearing trails that are already cut.

Last Saturday I worked the trail after Copperhead and part of what Red had cut in. Yesterday I worked the trail from the back gate to the tee, then I went right and worked that trail until the turn into the camping area. I saw a firepit. From there I worked the creek bottom until it crosses the road and then I called it a day.

Next Saturday I will work copperhead and then follow up where I stopped the weekend before last.

What I am doing is opening up the entrance to each one of these trails making them obvious to any newb that comes out. Plus it makes turning into them less of a chore off the main trail. Plus I don't have to use any marking tape.

The trails I've cleaned are looking very nice but they need to be ran to get beat in. Too my surprise there have been some very large rocks moved around, I figure the rush of water moved these monsters around. Good stuff,  a new trail each time we go out.

I am going to need some trail names pretty quick, will be ready to make the signs soon.

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:07:38 am »
Copper Head is cleaned except for the last 20ft or so. Chainsaw running goofy and broke my loppers. Breaking them really got to me, they were the ones I got from our Dirty Santa run a few yrs ago.

Copper Head should be renamed, Chigger Ally. I am ate up bad with them this time.  :laugh:

Anyhoo, trail looks very nice and there is no need to run any marking tape on it. You can't miss any of it now.

Who put the by-pass about midway up in it? Or has it always been there? The original line isn't all that bad so I cleaned it real good and didn't mess with the by-pass. Anyone who takes the by-pass deserves the tree branches along the tub..  :lildevil:  :laugh:

What I did was widen the trail a little. Trimmed all branches back and took out a few tree's. One's that would be a problem as the trail gets beat in. I also trimmed several tree's along the sides of the traill to open up the views, they were trimmed about head high. I noticed that the entire trail was covered in shade the entire time I was there. (left around 11am). Very nice even though the mountain/valley blocked the breeze.

I like this trail, the heavy spring rains did a good job of organizing the rocks and it washed out all the dead leaves and such.  :laugh:

Well, not much else to report. It is nasty hot out this way and having no breeze down low in the valleys made progress rough. I'll be out there again next Saturday at 4am but this time I am bringing 2 cans of OFF and more water.  :laugh:

Offline hazyredeyes

• Desert Racer
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 12:09:54 am »
The creek bottom near camp up to the end of copperhead is done, except for a few short sections at the end of each trail. Once done these two will blend perfectly.

The beginning of the trail network will be the creek bottom correct?

It is hot without a doubt. I start work at 2am and call it a day between 1-2pm. Been doing this for a few weeks and am wide awake at 1:30-2 am EVERYDAY, might as well head up there and work on the trails till noon or shortly before on Saturdays. So far it is working good for me except the going to bed a 6-7pm..

Chiggers suck big time. From the waist down I look like I have some funky chit going on.