Author Topic: Lockrite lockers  (Read 3623 times)

Offline rjstj

• Mall Crawler
  • Reputation +0/-0
Lockrite lockers
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:19 AM »
Has anyone had experience with or know about the Richmond lockrite lockers? I cant afford a conventional locker, so I figured these would be the next best thing. any suggestions?

Offline Ken

• Desert Racer
  • Reputation +168/-138
  • Trust me ;)
    • Browning's Reliable Cars & Trucks
Re: Lockrite lockers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
I'm sure someone on here has. I have only had experience with spools, Detroits, and Lincoln.
89 YJ Juggy
2006 Duramax 2500 4X4 (Tow Rig)

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +92/-17
  • They call me "T"
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
Buy a Aussie! I've ran them in both diff's for several years with no issues. Great price and a great product!!
It's never good when your ball pops out!! ;D                                                                        '97 Wrangler, 5speed, D30, Aussie Locker, 4.88's, 8.8, Aussie Locker, 35X12.50X15's, Advance Adaptors SYE, Tom Woods D.S., Adj. uppers and lowers. Smittybuilt 8,000# winch, Rokmen fuel tank skid,owner made sliders, bumpers and lots of smaller do-dads!

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
tony you dont have any issues with wet roads or ice/snow with the aussies. asking because ive been looking into them too

Offline Rollin Slow

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +92/-17
  • They call me "T"
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
The only time you can tell the rear has one (other than when you need it) is if I lay on the throttle when turning, I might get a slight chirp. The front is completely transparent unless it's in 4 wheel drive. Aussie can sell them cheaper than a LockRite because you buy direct, they don't use dealers. They are designed by a engineer that designed the LockRite and they have no exclusions for tire size.
It's never good when your ball pops out!! ;D                                                                        '97 Wrangler, 5speed, D30, Aussie Locker, 4.88's, 8.8, Aussie Locker, 35X12.50X15's, Advance Adaptors SYE, Tom Woods D.S., Adj. uppers and lowers. Smittybuilt 8,000# winch, Rokmen fuel tank skid,owner made sliders, bumpers and lots of smaller do-dads!

Offline shadowridr1

• Wheeler
  • Reputation +9/-9
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
 :beavisnbutthead: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: what ive been wanting to know

Offline DavidW

• Rock Crawler
  • Reputation +58/-57
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
I've run Aussies in several rigs and have liked them in all of them.  I have one in the rear of the Camo Cruiser with a small block 400 and it has held up nicely.  I like them better in automatic transmission vehicles.  When I've had them in the rear of standard transmission trucks they seem to "push" a little going into corners.   In the front they seem invisible untill you lock in.  I was afraid that I would have steering issues with one in the front of the green 4Runner but it doesn't seem to be a problem and I wheel the snot out of it with 37s.
White Trash

Offline mapman

• Trail Guide
  • Reputation +0/-0
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
I ran a lockrite in the front of the comanche with no issues.  I have a spartan in the front of the TJ and it is very noisy (and unloads violently in 2wd). The aussie is a 2nd generation lockrite (same designer) so I'd just go with the latest and greatest.

BTW contact Wayne Hartwig at DiffsOnly.com for a great deal.

Offline xlr8n

• Spotter
  • Reputation +0/-0
    • Schichtel.net
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
I went with a Richmond in the rear of my V8 powered CJ5 since that was the only auto locker offered for a D44 w/ limited slip. This short wheel base with manual tranny constantly held my attention during acceleration/deceleration and cornering. Engagement was quite violent even prior to bending the axle tube on the driver's side. After the bend it became unpredictable and failed to disengage often. Longer wheel base vehicles are much more forgiving.

As for the front, I went with the Aussie and it worked great. A little noisy but not bad. Both front and rear held up well turning 35" tires.
Wichita Falls Weather

1973 Chevrolet Luv:
Chassis/Suspension: '72 Waggy frame cut to 103.5" WB ; Waggy front 47" SOA ; Chevy rear 63" SOA
Front axle: '79 J10 D44 4:11 w/ 8 lug outers ; chromoly shafts ; Detroit locker ; cast cover
Rear axle: '75 Corp 14 bolt welded 4:10 ; cast cover ; DOM anti-wrap bar
Tires: 38.5x14.5x15 Swamper SX on 15x8 steel wheels
Drivetrain: '92 s10 4.3 Chevy v6 ; TH350 ; NP203/205 doubler triple sticks (front digs) ; .250 DOM rear shaft ; 2" square front shaft
Steering: Hydrossist ; 1.5" OD .250 wall DOM drag link and tie rod w/ heims
Safety: In-cab DOM cage ; in-bed double roll bar
Amenities: OBA ; OBW ; electric XJ seats ; Schwinn cruise control ; rock lights ; receiver mounted 8K lb. winch ; receiver mounted BBQ pit ; receiver mounted 32cc weedablender ('rita mixer)
Other: Bed mounted Isuzu raditator ; Bobbed bed

Offline insanity

• "I'm Lost!"
  • Trail Guide
  • Reputation +25/-10
  • King of carnage!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
I have lockrites F/R on my cherokee work great as stated front is enviable until you need it and some times I would get a chirp in a turn and when backing up and turning I could hear it ratchet.
Insanity's Build

I can't help it I'm from the north country.